Eskasoni RCMP received a call of an impaired driver on 74th St. in Eskasoni on November 26th at approximately 1:00am. While en-route to the impaired driver, police were alerted of a single-vehicle collision on Hwy. 216 in Eskasoni. RCMP said the vehicle in the collision matched that of the vehicle in the previous call.
Police and paramedics arrived to find the vehicle in a ditch. A 24-year-old woman from Eskasoni was found near the rear of the vehicle and pronounced deceased at the scene. Police have not released her identity at this time. The male driver as well as a male, and female passenger were rushed to hospital with serious injuries.
The driver of the vehicle, MacKenzie Daniel Poulette, 24, of Eskasoni, remains in custody and faces the following charges:
- Second Degree Murder
- Criminal Negligence Causing Death
- Two counts of Criminal Negligence Causing Bodily Harm
- Impaired Operation of a Conveyance
- Operation of Conveyance While Over 80mg% causing Death
- Two counts of Operation of Conveyance While Over 80mg% causing Bodily Harm
- Dangerous Operation
- Two counts of Dangerous Operation Causing Bodily Harm
- Dangerous Operation Causing Death
- Failure to Comply with Release Order
- Failure to Comply with Undertaking
- The investigation is ongoing.