Edmonton police responded to a shooting outside of a business in the area of 50 Street and Ellerslie Road on November Nov. 9, 2023, at approximately 12 p.m.
On arrival police located a 41-year-old Harpreet Singh Uppal, and an 11-year-old male in medical distress. EMS responded, however, both the man and child succumbed to their injuries on scene. The deceased have been confirmed to be father and son.
Shortly after police were notified of an empty vehicle on fire in the area of 34 Street and Township Road 510 (north of Beaumont). At this time, police continue to investigate if this vehicle is linked to the shooting.
- According to reports, Uppal was an alleged Brothers Keepers gang associate run by third-generation Punjabis, who had established links with Punjab gangs.
- Edmonton police believe the shooters belonged to the rival United Nations (UN) gang.
- Uppal was facing charges for cocaine possession and trafficking, and illegal possession of body armour. He was scheduled to go to trial in April 2024.
- He was sentenced to 15 months in jail back in 2013 on an unauthorized firearm possession charge.
* Uppal and his son were killed a day after Parmvir Chahil was killed in Toronto. He was allegedly linked to the UN gang.
Anyone with security or dash camera footage that was active in the area at the time is encouraged to contact the EPS at 780-423-4567.