Toronto police responded to a radio call for the sound of gunshots in the Lawrence Avenue West and Sage Avenue area on January 8th at approximately 9:47pm.
Police arrived to find Michael Opong Berchie, 23, of Brampton suffering from gunshot wounds inside of a vehicle. The victim was rushed to hospital where he died of his injuries. According to the TPS report, Michael Opong Berchie was inside of the vehicle with another person who was unharmed.
Police are searching for two suspects described as being in all dark clothing were observed fleeing the scene in a light-coloured four-door compact SUV, last seen traveling westbound Lawrence Avenue West and then southbound Dufferin Street.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-7400.
Update February 15th
Toronto police have arrested three men and a woman, as well as the seizure of a firearm and ammunition, in relation to an ongoing homicide investigation of Michael Opong Berchie. On February 13, 2021, Kevon Shemar Foo, 24, Day Juan Francis, 21, and Jasanthan Kandiah, 21, all of Toronto, were arrested. They are each charged with:
1. First Degree Murder
2. Attempt Murder
3. Discharge Firearm with Intent
According to a press release from Toronto police, it is alleged that officers located:
– 9 mm rounds of ammunition and 40 caliber rounds
– an extended magazine loaded with 9mm rounds
– a loaded Automatic Kalashnikova (AK-47) Rifle
– a loaded magazine with 7.62 mm rounds
Police also arrested Jessica Madeleine Roy, 20, of Toronto, on February 14th. She was charged with:
1. Three counts of Careless Storage of Ammunition
2. Careless Storage of a Firearm
3. Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm
4. Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized
5. Possession of Prohibited Firearm with Ammunition
6. Two counts of Possession of a Prohibited Device