Quebec City police said the two people found dead on May 11th were mother and son. Joceline Lamothe 54, was found dead in her home on Ste-Madeleine St. at 12:10 p.m.
Police then found Lamothe’s son Mikhael Ryan, 32, after he fell from a balcony at Hôtel Classique.
Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding both deaths.
Six people are dead, five of the wounded remain in critical condition in hospital after a Quebec city Mosque shooting. Police were called to the mosque at around 8pm on January 29th on report of a shooting.
There were men, Women and children at the Centre Culturel Islamique de Québec for evening prayer when the shooting took place. The shooter opened fire on the people who were praying. The victims ranged in ages from 39-60.
Police have arrested two suspects, but have not released their names, or motive on the attack. The first suspect was arrested at the scene, police said the second suspect called 911 himself and said he was armed and would cooperate.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called the tragedy a “terrorist attack on Muslims in a centre of worship and refuge”.
Update January 30th
Police have now said only one of the two men is is considered a suspect and the second person is considered a witness. Alexandre Bissonnette 27 has been identified as the sole gunman.
Bissonnette is facing 11 charges including six counts of first degree murder and five counts of attempted murder using a restricted firearm.
Update February 2
The victims names have been released.
- Azzedine Soufiane, 57, father of three and owner of a halal grocery store.
- Mamadou Tanou Barry, 42, father of two and worked in information technology.
- Khaled Belkacemi, 60, father and professor at Laval University.
- Aboubaker Thabti, 44, father of two, worked at a pharmacy.
- Ibrahima Barry, 39, father of four, worked at Quebec’s Revenue Ministry.
- Abdelkrim Hassane, 41, father of three, worked as a programming analyst for the Quebec government.
Police were called to 2nd Street and 8th ave in the borough of Limoilou, on October 7th on report of a severely injured man.
Poilce arrived to find 73 year old Mathias Breton in serious condition, with marks consistent with an edged weapon. Breton was rushed to hospital where he died of his injuries.
Yan Dugas 18 has been arrested and charged with first degree murder in the death of Mathias Breton.
Mathias Breton had been convicted of sexual assault on minors and sentenced twice serving a total of 6 years in prison.
The death of Breton is the first homicide in Quebec City in 2016.
Sylvain Fournier, 41, has been charged with murder and attempted murder after a stabbing in Quebec City July 12th that left an 82-year-old Joachim Aracil dead and his 76-year-old wife injured.
Joachim Aracil, and his wife were visiting Canada from Nice, died in a Quebec City hospital from his injuries, his wife as of July 13th was in stable condition.
Police were called after 8 p.m.July 12th after reports of screams. The couple were found, both suffered stab wounds and were rushed to the hospital.
Fournier was charged with first degree murder, attempted murder and uttering threats.