Alek Minassian, 25, of Richmond Hill was charged with 10 counts of first Degree Murder and 13 counts of Attempted Murder, after driving a rented van on a crowded sidewalk on Yonge Street in north Toronto.
Detective Sergeant Graham Gibson said the accused rented the white cargo van early in the day on April 23, before driving it to the scene to the area of Finch Ave. and Yonge St. at approximately 1.30 pm.
“As has been reported in the media, the accused is believed to have posted a cryptic public message on Facebook minutes before he began driving the rented van southbound on Yonge St. and onto the crowded sidewalks,” Gibson said in a press conference on April 24th.
The cryptic Facebook message read “Private (Recruit) Minassian Infantry 00010, wishing to speak to Sgt 4chan please. C23249161. The Incel Rebellion has already begun! We will overthrow all the Chads and Stacys. All hail the Supreme Gentleman Elliot Rodger!”
Anyone who may need help after witnessing the tragedy can contact Victim Services Toronto, a non-profit organization, is free to anyone. They can be reached at 416-808-7066.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the investigative hotline at 416-808-8750.
Update April 28th
Toronto police have released the names of the victims in the attack.
- Ji Hun Kim, 22, of South Korea
- So He Chung, 22, of Toronto
- Anne Marie D’Amico, 30, of Toronto
- Andrea Bradden, 33, of Woodbridge
- Beutis Renuka Amarasingha, 45, of Toronto
- Chul Min Kang, 45, of Toronto
- Dorothy Sewell, 80, of Toronto
- Geraldine Brady, 83, of Toronto
- Munir Najjar, 85, of Jordan
- Mary Elizabeth Forsyth, 94, of Toronto