Update: Man killed in Toronto daytime shooting

Toronto police and emergency crews ere called to George Street near Adelaide Street East on January 30th at around 2:45pm on report of gunshots.

Police found the victim who had been shot, unconscious at the scene. He was pronounced dead at the scene a short time later.

Police found two handguns at the scene as well as close to a dozen shell casings.

Police have not released the identity of the victim.

More to come…

Update January 31
The victim has been identified as Anastasios Leventis, 39, of St. Laurent, Quebec.

The death of Leventis is the 4th homicide for Toronto this year. The 2017 Toronto homicide victim list is available here.

Chavez Boysis shot to death in a Saddle Lake home

RCMP are investigating after Chavez Boysis, 26, was killed in a shooting in Saddle Lake at around 3am, January 26th.

Police said a vehicle entered the driveway of the Saddle Lake home sometime before 3am. The suspects got out of the vehicle and opened fire on the home. Boysis was standing near a window when he was shot.

Witnesses transported Boysis to a nearby medic station where he was pronounced dead.

RCMP ask anyone with information to contact St. Paul RCMP Detachment at 780-645-8888.

Joseph Billy Bustinski dead after shooting at Savoy Pub & Hotel

Vancouver Police were called to the Savoy Pub and Hotel at258 E Hastings St on January 27th at around 10:30pm on report of a shooting.  Vancouver P.D said “Officers arrived to find someone had deployed bear spray in the hotel, making it difficult for everyone inside to breathe,”

Police located the victim, Joseph Billy Bustinski, 62, suffering from a gunshot wound. Police administered CPR until Paramedics arrived. Bustinski was rushed to hospital where he died of his injury.

No arrests have been made. police ask anyone with information to call the VPD at 604-717-2500.

This is the first Vancouver homicide of 2017.

Update: Police investigate a fatal stabbing in Richmond BC

Police were called to the Richmond General Hospital after a 22 year old man was found in the parking lot suffering from stab wounds on Friday January 27th just before midnight.

The man was then transported to Vancouver General Hospital for treatment, however died from his injuries shortly after arrival.

Police are not releasing the victim’s name until his next of kin has been notified.

Update January 31
The victim has been identified as Francis Le 24 of Surrey BC.

Anyone with information about the death is asked to email IHIT at ihittipline@rcmp-grc.gc.ca, or call 1-877-551-4448

Victor Ogundipe dies in Toronto South Detention Centre

Officers responded to an assault at the Toronto South Detention Centre on January 26th at 6:30 pm after a fight broke out between two inmates.

Victor Ogundipe 41, was rushed to hospital where he later succumbed to his injuries.

Jalani Hibbert 22, has been charged with second degree murder. Police couldn’t say if any weapons were used.

The death of Ogundipe is the third Toronto homicide of 2017. The Toronto homicide victims list is available here.

Update: Six dead and eight wounded in Quebec City mosque shooting

Six people are dead, five of the wounded remain in critical condition in hospital after a Quebec city Mosque shooting. Police were called to the mosque at around 8pm on January 29th on report of a shooting.

There were men, Women and children at the Centre Culturel Islamique de Québec for evening prayer when the shooting took place. The shooter opened fire on the people who were praying. The victims ranged in ages from 39-60.

Police have arrested two suspects, but have not released their names, or motive on the attack.  The first suspect was arrested at the scene, police said the second suspect called 911 himself and said he was armed and would cooperate.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau  called the tragedy a “terrorist attack on Muslims in a centre of worship and refuge”.

Update January 30th

Police have now said only one of the two men is is considered a suspect and the second person is considered a witness. Alexandre Bissonnette 27 has been identified as the sole gunman.

Bissonnette is facing 11 charges including six counts of first degree murder and five counts of attempted murder using a restricted firearm.

Update February 2
The victims names have been released.

  • Azzedine Soufiane, 57, father of three and owner of a halal grocery store.
  • Mamadou Tanou  Barry, 42, father of two and worked in information technology.
  • Khaled Belkacemi, 60, father and professor at Laval University.
  • Aboubaker Thabti, 44, father of two, worked at a pharmacy.
  • Ibrahima Barry, 39, father of four, worked at Quebec’s Revenue Ministry.
  • Abdelkrim Hassane, 41, father of three, worked as a  programming analyst for the Quebec government.

Cody Quesnel charged with the death of Jacob Davy in Sault Ste. Marie

Sault Ste. Marie police responded to a call of assistance at 112 Wellington Street West on Januaryth at around 6am. Police found Jacob Davy 22, suffering from serious injuries. Davy was rushed to hospital where he died of his injuries.

Cody Quesnel 24, was arrested at the scene and charged with second degree murder. Quesnel is known to police and has been arrested several times over the past few years.

the cause of death has not been released at this time.

Eugenia Tofan Bunu charged with the death of her newborn baby 6 months later

Montreal police were called to Eugenia Tofan Bunu’s  home, on Cumberland Ave., on July 12 by paramedics after they arrived to find a newborn infant that wasn’t breating.

Paramedics revived the infant, and the baby was sent to hospital where it was pronounced dead a few days later.

Tofan Bunu 42, was charged with second degree murder on January 26th.

Montreal police are calling the death of the infant the third murder case of 2017 even though it happened July 2016.

The Montreal 2017 Homicide Victim List is available here.